Long-Tail Keywords

Long-tail keywords are those keywords that are longer than what a normal person would consider a “keyword”. They are normally three to four words long and are much more specific that a normal keyword. While companies may think that they want to be number 1 for the most searched and most popular keywords, sometimes long-tail keywords can be much more successful.


Popular, simple search terms normally only relate to about 30% of actual searches performed. What makes up the other 70%? Long-tail searches. These long-tail searches are tons and tons of very unique, specific groups of words that only a few people may search every day. However, these people tend to be the ones who can easily be converted into purchases, and make up most of the searches performed. When considering the how often terms are searched, you can look at a search demand curve, like the one below. You can see that there are smaller number of searches for keywords with large amounts of traffic and larger volume of search traffic for less commonly searched phrases like long-tail keywords. (Image provided by moz.com).


Another huge benefit that businesses can get from utilizing long-tail keywords is that customers who search more specific keywords tend to be later on in the buying/purchase cycle. Think about it. If a customer searches “dresses” they could be searching this term for numerous different reasons, and may not even by looking to make a purchase. However, if a customer searches “best deals on calvin klein dresses”, they are most likely much closer to making a purchase or are at least considering making a purchase. With this, you can almost consider long-tail keywords to be a better way to connect with your consumer, since you are working to provide them with exactly what they are looking for, and focusing on the customers who are actively searching for what you sell/provide.

Not only do long-tail keywords provide all the benefits listed above to companies, they also tend to be more inexpensive than shorter, more common keywords. Since they are much more specific and searched less often, the competitiveness for long-tail keywords tends to be much less than normal, which can decrease costs for bidding.

To get more information on what long-tail keywords are and how you can utilize them for your business, you can watch the two videos below:




Why focus on long tail keywords?


Previous Post

Warning: Use of undefined constant comment - assumed 'comment' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/37/d647476126/htdocs/clickandbuilds/RebeccaMRowe/wp-content/themes/hitchcock/comments.php on line 17
Warning: Use of undefined constant comment - assumed 'comment' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/37/d647476126/htdocs/clickandbuilds/RebeccaMRowe/wp-content/themes/hitchcock/comments.php on line 18

  1. Elly January 9, 2017

    That is really interesting, You are an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in search of more of your great post. Adnoliidalty, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

Leave a Reply

© 2021 Rebecca M Rowe

Theme by Anders Norén